Friday, February 11, 2011

Civil War tintype photos


I read about this fabulous donation by the Liljenquist Family to the Library of Congress here http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/lilj/ .  I found an article about it in the January issue of Military Officer magazine I receive each month.  It is really worth taking a look at the article as well as pictures of some of the tintypes and ambrotypes that are on Flickr here Civil War Faces

This little girl is described in mourning dress holding a picture of her father.

This wonderful piece commemorates a lost son.  It's his childhood picture and a lock of his hair.  He was killed in 1865 at the age of 18.

And finally this young man in his union uniform with the American flag in the background.  These are just 3 of the 66 images in the Flickr collection Civil War Faces.

I am amazed by this collection.  I am amazed at the great condition all of these are in.  The Liljenquist Family has donated over 700 tintypes and ambrotypes of Civil War faces to the Library of  Congress and I look forward to seeing more of this fabulous collection!

6 comments:

Dede Warren said...

These are wonderful Judy! I've got an artist coming in a few months to teach how to create true tintypes, so I've thought a lot about composition of photos I'll make. I love the idea of holding old photos of family members, and hope I remember to try this! We never know how what we share online will inspire another, thanks!

Judy said...

You're welcome, Dede. Glad that you found inspiration in these photos. They are amazing!

Sarah said...

I have always been intrigued by Civil War era tintypes and ambrotypes. Unfortunately they carry a hefty price tag. It is nice to know that they can be enjoyed on Flickr. Thanks for the info, Judy.

Rhonda said...

Judy, these are gorgeous tin types!
Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Becky Bunn said...

Love the old tin photos. I have one that is some long lost relative. The girl in the pic is young and looks like me when I was about her age. Love your thrift shop find. Lots of goodies on that:)

carlene federer said...

how cool are those tintypes? I LOVE them, wish I had some!