Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Lampshade redo

I had found two old lampshades earlier this year at a yard sale.  Still covered with plastic wrap (don't people take that stuff off?) and the silk was in tatters.  It has wonderful wire bones.  Thought I could cover it with burlap.
Taking off the fabric and then the tape took the most time.  But I got it done.

Next I covered it with wide burlap ribbon.  Gives it added direction and texture.

Finished shade on my lamp!  I think I am very happy with this!  Next I have to find a kit in order to turn the second lampshade covered in burlap ribbon (yet to do) into a hanging lamp.

3 comments:

knitter4years said...

So beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I like what happens when the light is turned on. The layers of burlap are marvelous to see. I like that lamp base too. The black metal base is a wonderful compliment to the burlap shade

Jennifer Walton said...

I love this idea. It looks fantastic. Thank you 🙂

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful idea, and so simple. My husband and I started a custom lighting business last year making lamps out of rescued salvage (wooden knitting spools, metal parts.etc.) and I have been looking for lampshade ideas. I happen to have two wrought iron lamps just like this-- one table lamps and one floor lamp. This shade idea you give will be perfect for them
Thanks for much for sharing! Ann from We Love Lamps (Etsy shop currently under construction).