Sunday, January 6, 2008

Ah, January!

Usually a cold, snowy month for most of the US. Here in Arizona, it has been seasonal and today it is rainy. Rain is a precious commodity here in the Sonoran Desert and always welcomed!

This drawing is from The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden. These tiny birds remind me of the finches here in Arizona. A friend has a finch feeder in her yard and it was a gathering place for house finches and yellow finches. I didn't realize there were yellow finches here in Arizona. So I bought two finch feeders last week. One is a hanging bag full of thistle seed and it is always visited by the finches. I have not seen any bright yellow finches, but I am hopeful! The other feeder has not been discovered yet. It is just outside my kitchen window. It won't be much longer before they discover it, too.

No comments: