Sunday, February 25, 2007

A great antique find and a new project



This lamp has to be the greatest find for me! It is an Aladdin lamp made in the late 1800's and has all of its original parts. It is too cool!
I bought this lamp from a lovely lady named Laverne who is 83 years old. She is leaving her home and moving to a retirement apartment here in Chandler. This beautiful lamp was in her closet. I bought it as well as everything she had kept out of her estate sale which was last week. I spent several hours with Laverne and enjoyed every minute. We talked about our husbands -- both of them were in the Air Force. We talked about being widows. We talked about each item as she shared its history with me.
When everything was loaded in my truck, Laverne gave me a big hug and told me that it was such a relief that her things were sold and that she could get on with the rest of her life. I wish her good health and happiness in her new home. The lamp is for sale at Merchant Square in Chandler.

My next project. I have spent several hours today just dressing this form. It took all of my sewing skills (which are rusty, at best!), some good trimming with my best fabric shears, and lots of modge podge. It is not finished. The next step is to "junk it up" in my usual style. I will scour my stash in order to find the right "bits and bobs" to put on her -- jewels, lace, fibers, ribbons, charms. The top of her dress is made from an old child's dress that was in pieces. The skirt is part of a thrift store find. The form was a present from a friend -- she picked it up at a yard sale for 25 cents. You gotta love it! The hunt and then the creation. I am having too much fun!

No comments: