Sunday, March 2, 2008

What's brewing??

What's this?? Well, it is instant coffee that is being "brewed" to dye fabric! Sure smelled good in here because it is vanilla instant coffee!

See? And there is a glimpse of the dyed fabrics. They were on their way out doors to dry in the sun.

I relearned another lesson while doing this. You cannot tea or coffee dye fabrics that are made partially or wholly of polyester. The tan pieces are unbleached cotton canvas. Those pieces dyed beautifully! The other pieces I stuck in the pot did not take on much color, if any! I've got to remember that lesson! I know better!! But I tried it anyway because I don't know what the fabrics are made of. Bought them years ago!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ohhhhh I can smell it clear on the other end of Arizona! Got us some great stamps and images today. Can't wait to see what you do with the fabric and these stamps! KJ

Judy Wood said...

Interesting! When I took watercolor at ASU, we used all kinds of spices, coffee grounds, etc. in what I liked to call our experimental "Scratch and Sniff" paintings... It was a really cool assignment. Keep experimenting!